Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

If You're Facing Homelessness

You are classed as being 'threatened with homelessness' if you have been served with a valid section 21 notice that expires within 56 days or less. In the unfortunate event that you are facing homelessness or have already been evicted from your current property, there are a number of ways Southend Borough Council can help you:

How We Can Help

If you are worried that you may become homeless, we will help you to:

  • understand your legal rights
  • stay in your current home by offering help with benefits and debt advice
  • negotiating with your landlord to help you stay
  • understand how you may be able to secure accommodation in the private rented sector
  • apply for social housing if you are eligible
  • find short stay emergency accommodation (in very exceptional circumstances)


If you have received an eviction notice or have been asked to leave your current accommodation please contact us on 01702 215002, Monday to Friday 09:00am to 17:15pm     


Our priority is to prevent you from becoming homeless in the first place, by negotiating with your landlord to help you stay in your current property or helping you quickly find other accommodation generally in the private rented sector if that is not possible. 

The following organisations can help you if you are already or about to be homeless, sleeping rough or need legal advice:

Shelter are the UK's homeless and housing charity and offer a wide range of help and advice

HARP offer ongoing one-to-one support and work closely with partner agencies to provide a 360 degree approach to overcome homelessness

Southend-on-Sea Citizens Advice Bureau offer legal advice to those facing homelessness

Avoiding Homelessness

Being threatened with homelessness can sometimes be unavoidable, however the following steps could help maintain your tenenacy:

  • If you have a landlord, you should keep in contact with your landlord even if you are in rent arrears. You may be able to agree an arrangement for clearing the arrears, financial assistance may be available through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit payments, or a Discretionary Housing Payment may help you clear your rent arrears
  • Avoid involvement in anti-social behaviour, not only is it a common reason for eviction; being responsible for anti-social behaviour can also prevent entry onto the Housing Register for social housing. Examples of anti-social behaviours, as well as advice on how to report issues that arise can be found here
  • Ensuring that you keep to the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement 
  • If you are facing homelessness due to a relationship breakdown, it is important to seek legal advice on your rights to remain in the property. Holding a valid tenancy or legally being a homeowner will limit the assistance that can be offered. It is important to come to a reasonable compromise between both parties to allow sufficient time that is required in finding a new property before moving out.
You should not leave your home until you have secured accommodation elsewhere. It is important to act as soon as possible if you feel you may be threatened with homelessness.